Thursday, April 11, 2013

Time

I find that there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day. I know we all say that, and we all seem to be busy. But lately it feels that the days are about three hours shorter then they used to be. Am I over committed? Perhaps. Am I just not organized enough? Perhaps. Do I know how to say no. Not really. It seems like I have the ability to get everything done for everyone, except for me. It's funny how we (meaning the royal "we" of Mommies) some how push back, or lose the fact that our health and well being is not as important as those around us. Deep down we know the importance, but for some reason it seems to be the easiest to postpone. Perhaps because it's hard work, perhaps because once you stop for awhile, it's really hard and disappointing to see how much you have lost.  This is where I am now. Last year at this time I was running my second half marathon and was in full speed triathlon training. This year, I average about four miles a run. My swimming is sparse and my cycling is two days a week in a spin class. I try not to throw a pitty-party for myself, but it seems easy to do when I reflect back to what I used to be able to do.
So what do I do? Seems like a simple solution...make myself a priority. That used to be easy, now both boys are playing baseball, taking swim lessons, guitar lessons, church responsibilities, volunteering at Mason's school and of course my job. Don't forget packing lunches, cooking dinner and just being Mom.  So I know "me" time is important, and I know my working Mommy friends are on the same boat as me and I know what I am supposed to do...I just need to DO IT!  Perhaps actually writing this in public will recharge me and help me to say, "no, I am not available at that time, that is my me time". That me time will become my run time and my commitment to health time.  As my dearest friend Brenda would say, "you've got to own it".  OK, time to own it!

No comments:

Post a Comment